Friday, August 27, 2010

Academic Challenges Starting at the Parking Deck

The university life can be daunting at times, but this year the challenge begins at the parking deck. I have heard so many of my classmates complaining this week ab0ut a difficulty parking. This is the number one reason for students walking in late to class. I confess, it is a bit crowded out there, but I don't see this as a hindrance. I look at this as a possibility that the recession is forcing more people, young and old, back into the academic world to prepare a better position for themselves when this economic slump has recovered. There are those who finished a bachelor's degree last year only to realize that there is nothing in the job market for them now. For these, it seems reasonable to head back to graduate school this fall so that when openings are available again, they will be more qualified. There are also those who just finished high school with no entry level positions available. I think the Arkansas lottery scholarship is helping many of those out financially with an opportunity to find an academic niche.

As I parked my car on the seventh floor (that's the top for those of you who have never made it up there) of the parking deck and took a glance at my bustling university campus down below, I felt a sense of pride in Arkansas and what the future might hold for our state with a more educated population. Let's embrace this moment and leave the house earlier to arrive to class on time, checking the complaints about parking at the door.

1 comment: